On this week MakeoverMonday Andy and Eva had the privilege to host a live event in Las Vegas, the perfect kick-off for the Tableau Conference 2017.
The viz in focus was the following:
So what do I think about it?
- The title only refers to half of the chart (the map). The other half (timeline) seems disconnected from it.
- The instructions on how to use the two charts are clear
- The color contrast in the map makes the worse states (purple) pop up from the sear of orange-yellow ones.
- Nice use of legend to give small states a chance to be selected.
- Initially the timeline is just a bunch of gray lines. Maybe having one line pre-selected would illustrate better how it works.
- Why start the timeline in 1990 if yearly data is available only after 2000? Anyway good job on spacing the 5-year gaps properly.
What were my goals?
- Use Table Calculations to display change over time based on first year available on the data.
- Display the last available data (which in the dataset was 2015) for each available dimension.
- Have a simple question in the title and answer it with the main chart element, the timeline.
- Use title as color legend.
- Highlight the opposites states (those which displayed higher increase/decrease compared to 2011). Also leave other states in the view, in a lighter color.
- Big annotation next to these states which allows me to hide the axis.
- Fix the y axis on both positive and negative ends. The white space on the negative end shows that the decrease on obesity is not as strong as the increase.
- Of course, highlight actions on the timeline.
Here is the viz for this week!
Note: for full experience please download the Avenir font.