Making a Multi-Language Viz

For this week #makeovermonday challenge I had the pleasure to work with a dataset that is very close to me. I work for Inter-American Development Bank and it is always a great opportunity to be able to practice Tableau and learn more about the work we all do to improve people lives in Latin American and the Caribbean.

For the visualization itself I chose to convert the donut chart that was presented in the IDB Blog Factor Trabajo into a bar chart in order to make it easier to compare the proportion of young people who work in each industry. Then it was quick to realize that from almost 84% of all young people work in 4 main industries, so I though this was the story to tell with the data.

I used colors to make the distinction between the 4 major sectors and the others. I stick with the “IDB blue” from the bank’s identity for the highlight items and used white bars (with the same IDB blue border) to keep the other sectors in context. I was very pleased with the final design of this viz:

As you can see I’ve delivered the viz in two of the four languages of IDB (English and Spanish). To do that I did the following:

  1. Finalized the first version (English) and then right-clicked the dashboard tab at the bottom and selected “Duplicate”.  I then named the first Dashboard “EN” and the second “ES”
  2. On the ES dashboard I started to translate the Text elements of the viz that were not related to any worksheet.
  3. Next I had to translate the elements that are related to a worksheet. For those I had to first duplicate the worksheets and then some extra work:
  • In this specific dataset the each Industry/Sector was a specific measure in Tableau. So I had to duplicate each measure, translate the names to Spanish and, finally, replace these measures in the Spanish worksheet.
  • The second Spanish worksheet was the Sub-Title because the BAN (Big Ass Number) there is within a worksheet. But besides translating the text next to the BAN, nothing else was needed.

4. Logos: I had to add Spanish and English IDB logos to each viz to make it look right for each Language.

5. Finally when all was done I published on Tableau Public. After the viz loaded there I had to “Edit Details” in order to check the following box:

Screen Shot 2017-05-16 at 22.38.10

This allows Tableau Public to display a nice little tab at top of the viz that serves as a nice language toggle on top left:

Screen Shot 2017-05-16 at 22.40.04.png

And that was it. Now I can allow my two main target audiences for this viz to access it on the language they prefer.

Note: now it is time to work on my #VizforSocialGood that uses the same dataset! 🙂

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s